Kunki Chowdhury’s Mother Announces Re 1 Defamation Suit Against Assam CM

Sujata Gurung Chowdhury alleges the Assam Chief Minister made “false and defamatory” remarks during the Assembly election campaign and seeks a public apology

Guwahati: Sujata Gurung Chowdhury, mother of Kunki Chowdhury, on Monday announced that she would file a Re 1 defamation case against Himanta Biswa Sarma over remarks allegedly made during the recent Assam Assembly election campaign.

In a public statement, Chowdhury accused the Chief Minister of making “false allegations” and using labels such as “beef eater,” “non-Sanatani,” and “anti-India communist” without any personal knowledge of her beliefs, background or lifestyle. She claimed the remarks were politically motivated and aimed at shaping a particular public narrative during the campaign.

Chowdhury also addressed controversy surrounding a photograph circulated online in connection with the allegations. According to her, the image had been misrepresented, and she said the management of a museum in Denver, where the photograph was reportedly taken, had clarified the context.

She further alleged that the circulation of such claims had damaged her public image and created safety concerns for her family, including her minor children.

Rejecting the allegation of being “anti-India,” Chowdhury said sharing or reposting articles should not be interpreted as proof of any ideology. She added that she is a passionate reader with a personal collection of more than 5,000 books spanning multiple viewpoints and subjects.

Also Read: Meghalaya CM Conrad Sangma Launches New Four Skill Initiatives at Skillerate 2026

Previous articleMeghalaya CM Conrad Sangma Launches New Four Skill Initiatives at Skillerate 2026
Next articleNo Relief Yet for Shyamkanu Mahanta as Gauhati HC Defers Bail Hearing

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here