Assam-Nagaland Border: 59 Families Face Eviction in Merapani After SC Ruling

The Golaghat administration has served final notices to 59 families at No. 2 Negheribil, asking them to vacate their homes by August 18

Guwahati: The Golaghat district administration and Forest Department are preparing to resume an eviction drive against 59 families living at No. 2 Negheribil along the Assam-Nagaland border in Merapani.

A team of officials visited the area on Sunday and served final notices to the remaining families, directing them to vacate their homes by August 18. As part of the preparations, officials numbered the houses and conducted a detailed survey using drone cameras.

The Forest Department had earlier carried out an eviction drive against 205 families in the area. However, 59 families opposed the action and approached the Gauhati High Court before subsequently moving the Supreme Court.

The families had secured a stay on the eviction proceedings while the matter was under judicial consideration. The Supreme Court has since ruled in favour of the Assam government, clearing the way for the authorities to resume the eviction process, officials said.

Following the court’s decision, the district administration has given the families a deadline to vacate their homes. Officials said an eviction drive is likely to be carried out after August 18 if the families do not comply with the notice.

Also Read: Manipur Power Deficit: MSPDCL Seeks 100 MW From NTPC Farakka

Previous articleManipur Power Deficit: MSPDCL Seeks 100 MW From NTPC Farakka
Next articleAssam Floods: Affected Population Drops to 51,800, Death Toll Remains at 104

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here